Here’s a tasty bread alternative I knocked up for lunch (inspired by some friends experimenting with the keto diet)! These keto bread rolls are gluten-free, sugar free, high in protein and good fats, with plenty of fibre, minimal carbs and (the best part) they actually have great texture and taste awesome with anything you’d normally have with bread! Keto-friendly, diabetic-friendly…seriously, you should make these! This super easy recipe will make you a dozen keto bread rolls just smaller than a tennis ball (let’s say handball sized buns!?) Perfect for lunches or using anywhere you’re craving a bread-type product. Add your own extras – could be mixed spice & orange zest for a hot cross bun kinda feel, olives & rosemary would be amazing…semi-dried tomato / parmesan / etc etc…& an egg-free vegan adaptation would be no problem – just use soaked chia or flaxseed as the egg replacement. These babies ended up as a low carb lunch platter with some salad, fresh pesto, butter, olive tapenade, & avocado! Total hit.
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Boil water and add it, the vinegar and egg whites into bowl, whilst beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don’t over mix dough, consistency should be similar to Play-Doh.
3. Moisten hands and make 12x handball sized buns. Place on a baking paper lined oven tray.
4. Bake on lowest shelf in the oven for 90 minutes. They’re ready when nicely browned & you can hear a hollow sound when you tap the bottom of the bun.
5. Serve with butter / toppings of your choice.