Healthy Hot Cross Buns
Love the hot cross bun flavours, hate the gluten, refined carbs, crappy fats & artificial ingredients that they’re full of. Here’s my version of healthy hot cross buns - these are made with Blend11 so are high in protein, fibre, good fats...nutritionally worthwhile eating as well as satisfying your Easter spice & fruit peel cravings!
Ingredients50g Almond Meal 20g Psyllium Husk 100g Coconut Flour 80g Currants 3 teaspoons of Cinnamon 1 teaspoon of Nutmeg 1 teaspoon of Allspice Zest & juice of 3 Oranges 2 cups of Blend11 (soaked overnight prior) 3 tablespoons of Coconut Oil Optional: Maple Syrup to glaze For the chocolate crosses: Your fave chocolate, melted in a double pot so as not to burn. Coconut flour (just mix in with melted choc to thicken it, enough to make a consistency you can work with easily & hold shape).
- Add all dry ingredients into a bowl
- Squeeze oranges & add juice & coconut oil
- Add Blend11
- Squeeze the mixture together with clean hands until well combined & all dry ingredients are moistened. You should have a ‘dough’ like consistency.
- Shape into small balls (approx 4cm diameter).
- Place on a baking tray (mix should make about 12 little buns)
- Glaze by brushing with a little maple syrup if you like (not necessary but adds sweetness)
- Use the melted chocolate + coconut flour mixture to make crosses. I used my hands, but better / much neater results if you have any ‘icing’ equipment to load the choc into & squeeze out!
- Bake in a slow oven (170 degrees) for approx 1.5 hrs (check a bun to see if the inside has gone from 'gluey' to drier / just moist & 'bready'.