Please tell me there’s not more than one of these a week – takeaway food should be just a special treat / last resort, not a regular occurrence. Getting the family hooked on takeaway food might save you some time & energy in the short term, but the downside can be pretty sad. Even though the pizza might have a few veggies on it, the burger has some lettuce & tomato, the fish is fresh from the trawler, the chips are made of potatoes and the lovely Chinese / Thai / Indian family cooked it using grandma’s recipe…
…it’s all going to be swimming in cheap vegetable oil & heavily laced with sugar / MSG / unseen additives.
The takeaway joint needs to make a profit, & you just can’t if you’re selling $9.95 pizzas made with extra virgin olive oil instead of cheap & nasty ‘vegetable oil’. The fish & chip shop ain’t frying in coconut oil either. You may think ‘oh it’s ok – we grew up on fried food as kids’ – it was different fat that was used back then though. The fat that’s used now is the number one dietary cause of heart disease & the ideal daily intake is zero. Not once or twice a week – ZERO!
No wonder our kids are getting so fat, it’s because their parents are too darn busy to spend the necessary time in the supermarket/kitchen!
…so what to do on those ‘I simply cannot cook tonight’ nights (they happen in healthy homes too!).
Here’s a few ideas:
- Omelettes (use the blender for speed)
- Toast & avocado / beans / tuna /hommous
- Something frozen from a leftover dinner, a platter (or a pile) to pick from including things like olives, celery, carrots, capsicum, beans, cucumber, snow peas, boiled eggs
- Cold leftover meat…dinner doesn’t always have to be cooked…
- If you need something warming – a quick bowl of ‘instant’ miso soup with a handful of baby spinach, cabbage, broccoli or other greens thrown in is great – & maybe even a can of tuna / salmon if you’re a bit more hungry.
- Even porridge with some yoghurt, nuts & berries, some Blend11…it’s not really dinner but it’s nutritionally much better than a giant pile of trans fat & a few token veggies.
Think of the savings, the health benefits and the guilt factor !!!
[button link=”https://goodmix.com.au/recipe/” bg_color=”#2da822″ text=”GET INSPIRED HERE”]
Download our Detox Plan for free (valued at $29.95)
Join us and receive a free copy of our 'Rest & Reset' detox plan.