Given up grains? Have a gluten intolerance? This doesn’t mean you have to give up all the benefits of the traditional winter warmer porridge. This winter bowl of goodness will warm you right down to your toes! Rolled oats are traditionally gluten free, but have been contaminated by rotating crops and processing methods over the years so buckwheat makes an excellent oat replacement. Despite its name- buckwheat is actually a seed not a grain and is high in nutrients such as magnesium and phosphorus. Buckwheat helps the liver to process hormones, medicines, and glucoses, as well as supporting cardiovascular health by lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. So what’s not to love right?…the smell of this perfect porridge will have you jumping out of bed on a chilly winter morning
cup of raw buckwheat
* 1/2 cup activated NeoBlend
* 1 cup of almond/rice milk
* 1 cup of water
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* Fresh fruit/honey/cinnamon to serve
1. Soak the buckwheat in water overnight
2. Drain and rinse the buckwheat
3. Place water, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and buckwheat in a saucepan and bring to boil
4. Reduce to simmer for 10-12 minutes- stirring as needed
5. Place into serving bowls
6. Add 2 tbsp of NeoBlend to each serve
7. Top with fresh fruit, add honey to taste and sprinkle with cinnamon
Soaking the buckwheat will seriously cut down the cooking time from around 45 minutes to just over 10- and who doesn’t want extra time in front of the fire on a winter morning.
Adding the NeoBlend to the top of the porridge and stirring in will warm it a little without losing any of the heat reactive nutrients such as vitamin c that get lost when food is cooked.
Experiment with different forms of milk like coconut and quinoa milk and comment below to let me know your favourite.