Are Your Gut Bacteria Making You Sick & Fat
Here's a quick list of what we may (someday very soon) be treating simply through manipulation of the microbiome...So exciting!
acne / autism / asthma / allergies / cancer / depression and anxiety / gastric ulcers / malnutrition / eczema / arthritis / IBS / chrons disease / ulcerative colitis / skin condition / diabetes / obesity / heart disease / inflammatory disorders / autoimmune diseases / Parkinson's disease / MS / food intolerances / dental cavities / colds & flu....& more.
NEW RESEARCHThere is so much interesting reading to be done on this topic, and much much more to come in the next few years as more research is carried out...recent discoveries have the potential to change our entire medical paradigm, and the dietary recommendations we currently follow...here are a few quick points to get you interested, do some reading!
- Fat mice implanted with the bacterial populations taken from skinny mice lose weight & have improved glucose metabolism...& vice versa. Obese humans have bacteria that are really great at extracting energy from food, & also bugs that signal the storage of energy for later (fat storage). Whoever can develop & patent the killer antibiotic for these guys is gonna be popular!!!
- There are products being developed now to try and make it easy to get someone else's fecal bacteria into your own colon easily in a not-too-gross way. (So we won't have to eat poo as medicine, but basically it will be the same thing!)
- Identical twins with different gut microbiota can have very different nutrient statuses - ie deficiencies caused by the inability of their gut bacteria to properly breakdown the food they eat into useable nutrients.
- Your gut bacteria will gradually become very similar to those you share your environment & meals with
- Very low carb diets may not be so trendy in coming years, as they can starve our friendly bacteria of food & cause them to eat through our gut's protective mucous layer, leaving us open to infection & the development of leaky gut syndrome & the problems which stem from that.